Sunday, February 6, 2011

Being the salt

Today's homily was about salt. Ed and I attended different masses, but both priests talked about being the salt in other people's lives. We all know that salt, when added to food, well... makes food salty. But salt also brings out other flavours in a dish that may otherwise be muted. To cut a long story short, both priests talked about acting in ways to bring out the best in others.

The priest at S.I. talked about Mr Bai Fang Li, a rickshaw operator who devoted a good part of his life to secure a brighter future for orphans in his community. I read more about him here, and was moved to big fat tears. His story made me want to do the same, or at least get my butt moving to give back to the community no matter how small it is. The occasional cash donation eases my guilty heart, but only temporarily. And really, no matter how I think about it, I know I am merely taking the easy way out.

Mr Bai Fang Li makes me want to be a better person; his story has brought out the best in me. I hope to one day do the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment